Our GFWC Connection

GFWC-Vertical-Typeface-&-4-Color-Emblem
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs is an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service. The origin of GFWC is traced back to 1868, when journalist, Jane Cunningham Croly (1829-1901) was denied admission to an all-male club because of her gender. Coly’s response was swift; she formed a club for women, organizing under the name Sorosis, the Greek word meaning “an aggregation; a sweet flavor of many fruits.’ In 1890, the women’s clubs from across the country joined hands to become the General Federation of Women’s Clubs. More than a century later, GFWC continues to grow and adapt to the changing and diverse lifestyles and concerns of women, and remains one of the strongest and most influential membership organizations in the country.

GFWC Federation of Women’s Club
1734 N. Street NW
Washington, DC 20036-2990
202-347-3168
www.GFWC.org

GFWC Florida Federation of Women’s Clubs
4444 Florida National Drive
Lakeland, FL 33813
863-647-2642
www.gfwcflorida.org